"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" ~Groucho Marx

Search This Blog

Friday, March 28, 2008

Speak

Anderson, Laurie. Speak. NY: Penguin Books, 1999. 198 pages. (Fiction)

Melinda Soridino ended an end-of-school party by calling the cops. Her “ex” friends hates her and will not talk to her and people she doesn’t even know hate her more. She feels the safest when she is in her mind or in a janitors closet or what use to be a janitors closet. She can’t even be safe there because she will think back to the night she “ruined” the end-of-school party ,and it would make her more depressed then she already was when she didn’t think about it. Her life sucks and she has no real friends now that Heather blows her off for the Marthas.

I feel this book wasn’t a page turner until the end so in other words it had a dry beginning. I wouldn’t tell anyone to read this book unless they like the books with dry beginnings. If I had to choose to let anyone of my parents read Speak it would be my mom and not my dad. I would not recommend this book to my dad because it is not his type of book (his type is historic, wars).

Reviewed by: Duke o'Earl