"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" ~Groucho Marx

Search This Blog

Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

Brashares, Ann. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. New York: Random House, 2001. 294 pages. (Fiction Series)

Once there were four girls, one pair of pants, and a summer apart. Bridget, Carmen, Tibby, and Lena had been best friends ever since they were born, and they had never been apart; except for this summer. Carmen had once gone thrift shopping with Lena, her mom, and her sister, and she bought a pair of ordinary jeans, or so she thought, just to annoy Len’s mom. She didn’t even try them on. A couple days before the girls went their separate ways, all four girls tried on the pants, and, miraculously, they fit all of them. The girls couldn’t believe this, especially since they were all built differently. They decided that the pants were very special. Since the girls were all going different places, they decided to rotate the pants between them. This is how they came up with the name the Traveling Pants. Lena was going to Greece, Carmen was visiting her dad in South Carolina, Bridget was going to soccer camp in Baja, California, which is really in Mexico, and Tibby was staying home. The girls all experienced different events throughout the summer: love, friendship, and trust. In the end, they realized that they didn’t need a pair of pants for something to happen, they just needed to believe in themselves, and each other.

When I read this book, I couldn’t put it down. Now it is one of my favorite series, and I have managed to read all four of the books in less than three weeks. This book is sad, exciting, and addictive. One of my friends recommended it to me, and I thought ah, I guess I’ll read it. Then I actually picked up the book, and it was amazing! I would absolutely tell any of my friends to read this.

Reviewed By: LESH