"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" ~Groucho Marx

Search This Blog

Friday, May 23, 2008

Keeping the Moon

Dessen, Sarah. Keeping the Moon. NY: Penguin Group, 1999. 228 pages. (Fiction)

The main characters are fifteen year old Colie, Aunt Nira, Isabel, Morgan, and Norman. Colie, a former corpulent girl, spends the summer working as a waitress in a beachside restaurant while staying with her overweight and eccentric Aunt Mira, and trying to explore her sense of herself. The problem that Colie faces is that she doesn’t have any confidence in herself. She had a hard time at school because everyone teased her because she was overweight. Colie solves the problem by accepting herself the way she looks. Her new friends Morgan, Isabel, and Norman build up her confidence and give her a makeover.

There was one part in the book that also happened in my life. It was when Colie had no confidence in herself in the beginning of the book. At the end, Colie accepted herself the way she was. In my lifetime, I had no confidence in myself. For example, when I walk down the hallway in school and see a pretty girl, and then when I look at myself and I see myself as a weird person. But Colie got her confidence because of her new friends. I got my confidence back from my friends. They supported me, and they cheered me up. I love my friends!

Reviewed by: DoubleDe610