"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" ~Groucho Marx

Search This Blog

Friday, February 29, 2008

Hoot

Hiaasen, Carl. Hoot. NY: Yearling Random House, 2002. 292 pages. (Fiction / Humor)

The main character in Hoot are two teenagers: Roy Eberhardt and Beatrice Leep. Another character whose real name does not show up until the end of the story is Mullet Fingers, Napoleon Bridger Leep, who can catch mullet, a small fast fish with his bare hands. The story is set in Florida. There is a single lot of land in Florida which has many burrowing owls living in the soil; a Mother Paula’s Pancake House is going to be built on this land unless the kids prove that it’s illegal. Bridget, Roy, and Mullet Fingers have to prove the the burrows are not abandoned and they actually do have animals in them. One thing that was interesting is the kids kept vandalizing the property until they could come up with a better idea to stop the Mother Paula’s Pancake House.

I thought this book was very interesting, and I liked it very much. I have and I am reading other Carl Hiaasen books. I would suggest Carl Hiaasen to any other person who wanted to read a good book. I have known about Carl Hiaasen, so I was suggested this book and others by my family. I would easily give this book a ten out of ten for all the main aspects of the book.

Reviewed by: MasterChief40