"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" ~Groucho Marx

Search This Blog

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Demon in My View

Atwater-Rhodes, Amelia. Demon in My View. NY: Dell Laurel Leaf, 2000. 176 pages. (Fantasy Series)

The main character is Jessica Allodola, the author of Tiger, Tiger and Dark Flame who seems to know “too much” about Vampires. Aubrey is one of the strongest Vampires ‘alive,’ Aubrey is also the main character in Dark Flame. Caryn Rashida is a witch from the Smoke Line; she is skilled in healing but is not much of a fighter. Fala is an Egyptian Vampire who has a sick desire to get rid of Jessica for knowing too much about the Vampire world. The story takes place in present time New York City in the human world and in New Mayhem inside the Vampire world.

The problem Rachel faces is trying to avoid all the Vampires that are out to kill her, although many of them won’t even try to harm her because of Aubrey. The reason why people wouldn’t harm her because of Aubrey is because Aubrey swore that if anyone tried to harm Jessica, he would silence them. One interesting event that happens is the fights that take place throughout the story, mostly the fights with Aubrey, Fala, and Dominique; those are the ones with the most action in them. Another type of interesting events that happen throughout the novel is the romance that goes on between the characters.

My favorite character was probably either Jessica or Aubrey. The reason why I liked Jessica was because she’s kind of an outcast, and she loves to write stories – like me. The reason why I liked Aubrey is because of the way he acts and the decisions he makes. The character I disliked the most was Dominique Vida because she hunts down all Vampires no matter who they are or what the cost. Another reason I don’t like Dominique is because she doesn’t care about Jessica at all and because she threatens her a few times. One scene that I liked the most is when Aubrey and Jessica are alone at the top of a hill and Jessica is asking Aubrey why he hasn’t done anything to harm her if ‘all’ Vampires are out to kill her. I would recommend this book for others if they like a lot of action and some romance, and if they’ve read the first book in the series. I would read another book by this author, and already have, because I love stories about Vampires and I loved this book. One reason why I chose this book is because it is the sequel to In the Forest of the Night, and the second in the four book series. Another reason is because my sister recommended this book for me because she knows I like this type of books.

Reviewed by: Kirby