"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" ~Groucho Marx

Search This Blog

Friday, February 29, 2008

Daniel’s Story

Matas, Carlos. Daniel’s Story. NY: Scholastic Paperbacks, 1993. 144 pages. (Historical Fiction)

In this book there is one main character named Daniel who is 14 years old. The story takes place in Germany, in a concentration camp and at Daniel’s home and hiding place in 1941 during the Holocaust. Daniel and his family are forced to go into hiding from the Nazis because his family is Jewish. If they did not go into hiding, they would be sent to a concentration camp where they would surely die. Along with his immediate family there were other family members and friends that were hiding with him. In many circumstances when they were in hiding, Daniel would find a small place to hide where the Nazis wouldn’t look. Unfortunately, there was not room for everyone and many members of his family and friends were killed.

After a period of time, there are only two members of the family left: Daniel and his father. They are eventually captured and sent to a concentration camp. Upon their arrival at the camp, Daniel and his father were only given one set of “ragged” clothing. They go through harsh times but are still able to make some friends.

Daniel and his father are horrified by all the gruesome images they see during their time at the concentration camp: burning bodies, people being shot and hung became a part of everyday life at the camp. Daniel was able to endure this horrible time because he always tries to make the best of things and maintain a positive outlook of what will become of him and his father.

I selected t his book based on a recommendation by my mother’s friend who would also babysit for me and my brother and sister when we were younger. I have always been curious about the Holocaust and what motivated one man, Hitler, to murder 6 million people based on his prejudice. Because I enjoyed this book so much, I have also read Number the Stars and am currently reading Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl. The more I read about life during the Holocaust, the more curious I become. I think this is because I feel that I can always learn more.

Reviewed by: SF42Lax