"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" ~Groucho Marx

Search This Blog

Friday, May 30, 2008

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

Taylor, Mildred. Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry. NY: Puffin, 1976. 276 pages. (Historical Fiction)

This book is about an African-American girl, Cassie, and her family who live in Virginia. In one year, the family has to deal with nightriders (mean white men who try to set African-American’s homes on fire and kill them), burnings, and being humiliated in public simply because they are black. Cassie’s family is also at risk of losing their land because they owe taxes. The land is very important to their family because it ties them together. In the end, they must destroy what is most important to them, the land, to save someone’s life.

I selected this book because at first the front cover looked interesting. Then, I read the back, and it sounded very interesting. On the back there was a quote that said this book was full of thrilling adventures. This book was very exciting, and I couldn’t put it down. I would definitely recommend this book to my friends.

Reviewed by: Kae5495