"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" ~Groucho Marx

Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Wintergirls

Anderson, Laurie H. Wintergirls. New York City: Penguin Group, 2009. 278 pages. 9Realistic Fiction)

Lia is alive. Barely. Her best friend, Cassie, is dead. But she’s not gone. She haunts Lia whispering promises and cheering her on as Lia continues her journey to dangerland. 100. 95. 90. 85. 80. 75. 70. She is less and less. Her body weighs less than her spirit, imagination, and hope. Even those are withering away. Her body begins to panic as it becomes lighter and lighter. In the hospital, in the car, on the floor. Cold. Blood seeping from her fresh cuts. Cassie cheers her on every step of the way. Until the end. Just when Lia finally has something to live for, she may be out of chances.

This book actually made me feel despair as if it were my life that was spiraling out of control. I found myself rooting for this made up character at some times and not understanding her at others. Lia’s mind is so twisted and out of control I lose track of reality as I follow her down her dangerous path. The character seems so real that I had to remind myself that she’s only a figment of the author’s imagination. It is strange and terrifying to see into the mind of an insane person. This book is the first in a while that got an extremely strong reaction out of me because of how helpless and defenseless Lia is against herself. This book is powerful and educational and showed me how hopeless some peoples’ lives become in the face of mental illness. I highly recommend this; it is something you are sure to remember.

Reviewed By: DancingPenguin96