"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" ~Groucho Marx

Search This Blog

Monday, June 1, 2009

The Greatest Battle

Nagorski, Andrew. The Greatest Battle. New York: Simon & Schuster, Inc, 2007. 316 pages. (Nonfiction)

Stalin, Stalin what do you see?
I see death in front of me.
Death, Death what do you see?
I see coldness killing thee.
Coldness, Coldness what do you see?
I see soldiers dying from me.
Soldiers, Soldiers what do you see?
We see a comrade falling near we.
Comrade, Comrade what do you see?
I see hope escaping me.
Hope, Hope what do you see?
I see Germany crushing me.
Germany, Germany what do you see?
I see misery caused by me.
Misery, Misery what do you see?
I see Moscow not giving to thee.
Moscow, Moscow what do you see?
I see Hitler antagonizing me.
Hitler, Hitler what do you see?
I see time slipping away from me.
Time, Time what do you see?
I see war destroying a family.
War, War what do you see?
I see citizens killed by me.
Citizens, Citizens what do you see?
I see German “Liberators” killing thee.
Liberators, Liberators what do you see?
We see terror caused be us.
Terror, Terror what do you see?
I see resistance fighting me.
Resistance, Resistance what do you see?
I see a light at the end of this terrible journey…

I think this book is an intense tale of one of WWII most bloodiest battles. Nagorski gives The Battle of Moscow the story it deserves giving the account of the intense fighting, miserable conditions, and fierce betrayals. I recommend this book to all people who love learning of WWII and those people who love a good, intense war story. A one word label for this story would be MASSIVE.

Reviewed by: Biglipbubba52