"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" ~Groucho Marx

Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Boy In The Striped Pajamas

Boyne, John. The Boy In The Striped Pajamas. NY: Davis Fickling Books, 2006. 216 pages. (Historic Fiction)

Once upon a time, there was a happy family
Until Bruno had to move
To a dreaded place because his father was a Nazi Officer.
With nothing to do, Bruno went for a walk to a fence.
Inside, were many people including Shmuel.
They became best friends, but they
Had a fence between them.

Bruno, being young and naive, he
Really wanted to go on the other side of the fence.
Underneath the fence, he went in his striped pajamas.
Nobody knew who he was or what would happen next.
Outside the fence, the word spread of his disappearance.

So a massive search began,
Holding on to hope was all they could do.
Maybe he had run away because he hated Out-With,
Until they found his clothes by the fence.
Everybody knew he went under the fence.
Like any reluctant Nazi parent would, they searched the Jewish camp.

I really liked this book because it was very suspenseful. I never wanted to put it down because I always wanted to know what would happen next. Often I found myself trying to tell Bruno and the other characters what to do. I would tell Bruno not to go under the fence, until I realized it was a book. If I were to rate this book, I would give it a ten out of ten. My favorite part was the ending. I would never expect what happened. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in the Holocaust.

Reviewed by: Son of Bigfoot