"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" ~Groucho Marx

Search This Blog

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Chains

Anderson, Laurie. Chains. NYC: 2008. 300 pages. (Historical Fiction)


1776.

Revolutionary War.

Isabel and Ruth, sisters~ SLAVES.

Their Mistress dies, where do they go?

New York City.

To the Lockton's LOYALISTS

Soldiers, beatings, hangings, brandings, battles, fires...

SOLD.

Isabel is no Patriot; She is no Loyalist;

She will help whoever can promise her

FREEDOM.

Review:


Amazing,

Powerful,

Painful,

Shocking

...

TRUE.

This book was written so well! It had so much detail, it felt as though I was there. I could feel Isabel's fear and pain, her anger and resentment. Although I have never had my flesh boil under a hot iron, I could almost feel it when Laurie Halse Anderson described it. I actually learned a lot from this book. I learned about the lifestyles of slaves and rich folk in 1776. I learned about the Revolutionary War and the conditions of Rebel and British Soldiers. The way she described it, it almost seemed like Anderson experienced these events herself. She obviously put a lot of research and work into this book, and it deserves to be read by all.

Reviewed by: DancingPenguins96