"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" ~Groucho Marx

Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

No Talking

Clements, Andrew. No Talking. New York: Scholastic Inc., 2007. (Fiction)

Have you ever wondered what it was like to not talk for two days? In the book No Talking, a kid named Dave Packer was starting school as a 5th grader, and all he could do is talk. It got him in a lot of trouble at school. Linsey Burgess is the other main character who does nothing but talk, and is not well liked by teachers.

Dave and Lynsey were partners in class and he coughed to avoid talking during a presentation. This made Lynsey mad. Then at lunch, she was just running her mouth and all of a sudden, Dave whips around and starts yelling at her. He wanted to try a “no talking” contest because he had read about Ghandi. Dave learned that Ghandi didn’t talk once a week to “bring order to his mind.” For the contest, they agreed that the winner would write a big L on their forehead with permanent marker. They decided to make it boys against girls. So the contest was on! They made rules, which was that no one could talk more than three words at a time or the rest of the group would be counted against their team.

If you want the ending revealed, then you’ll have to read the book to find out and how the principal played the game they were playing.

I liked this book because it was an interesting book to keep reading. If I were Dave, I couldn’t keep my mouth closed for two days, and I wouldn’t want to lose a contest against girls. I wouldn’t have started the contest to begin with, and I wouldn’t have even spoken to Lynsey if she had something mean to say. This book was easy to understand because it took place in school, and I can relate to that because I spend most of my day there, too. This book could happen in real life, but the principal in the book was too strict.

I would recommend this book to kids that talk a lot so they can be quiet once in a while. Also, anyone who likes reading Andrew Clements would enjoy this book because it is fun and interesting to read just like any of his other novels.

Reviewed by: Brine66