"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" ~Groucho Marx

Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Elfstones of Shannara

Brooks, Terry. The Elfstones of Shannara. New York: Ballantine Books, 1982. 469 pages (Fantasy Series)

The elf tree the Ellcrys is dying and now the barrier holding thousands of demons are breaking out and soon will be unleashed on the world. Already the Reaper, most fearsome of the demons, is out searching for the chosen protectors and caretakers of the Ellcrys. Wil Ohmsford was given the elf stones, very powerful magic that can be call on when needed, given to him by his Grandfather Shea Ohmsford. Wil is now studying with Stors the most talented healers of the Four lands when the druid Allanon seeks him out to protect Amberle, outcast of the elfs and one of the chosen as she travels to Blood Fire to renew the strength of the Ellcrys. Can they make it there and back before all of the Demons are released and destroy all of the elves and the rest of the Four Lands? Read the Elf Stones to find out.

I have to say this is my favorite of the Terry Brook books so far and the second one I read. It was by far the most touching. I was crying by the end, and I don’t cry that easily. You'll love the characters and Terry Brooks really makes you feel their pain and happiness and sorrow. I would recommend this book to anyone who has ever had a pulse. This is one of my favorite books of all time and I’ve read a lot of books.

Haymitch