"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" ~Groucho Marx

Search This Blog

Friday, April 27, 2012

My Sister’s Keeper

Picoult, Jodi. My Sister’s Keeper. New York: Washington Square Press, 2004. 418 pages. (Realistic Fiction / Poem Review)

In anger, Anna
Sues her parents for the rights
To her own body.

A lawyer with a
Service dog will save the day
For fraught Anna.

Meanwhile, Kate is
In need of a kidney that
Just Anna can give.

Her mom pressures her
To drop the suit before Kate
Dies, but Anna stays.

Brother; Jesse starts fires,
Father; Brain fights them; none
Can stop family fires.

With tension rising
At every turn, builds for an
Unexpected end.

This book was awesome. I absolutely loved it. But the ending was so sad. I cried after reading it. Then I cried when I told my mom about it. It was one of the most unforeseen endings I’ve probably ever read. What I liked about the book was that it alternated between the perspectives of almost all the characters; Anna, her mom, her dad, her brother, her lawyer, and her guardian ad litem. The book was only over about a week’s time, yet it was really thick because every day all the characters had their part, sometimes more than once. I totally recommend this book and I also recommend a box of Kleenex to go with it.

Reviewed by: FunkyZebras