"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" ~Groucho Marx

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Diary of a Young Girl

Frank, Anne. The Diary of a Young Girl. New York, NY: Anchor books, 1991. 340 pages. (Non-fiction)

In this book there is one main character with many supporting characters. The main character is a 12 year old girl named Anne Frank. She has a family of one sister named Margot, a father named Otto, and a mother named Edith. The story takes place from 1942-1944 in Amsterdam during the Nazi occupation during the time of the Holocaust. Anne’s family is hiding in a warehouse owned by the business Anne’s father worked for. For two years the Franks lived in hiding with the VanDaan’s in the warehouse. Anne and her family and the other members in hiding faced the daily struggle of living in a small area with eight people. There was also the constant fear that they would be found and captured by the Nazi’s. They had to stay quiet for fear of being heard by those that worked downstairs in the warehouse.


Anne Frank’s diary was passed on and preserved by Otto Frank. He continued to spread the message from Anne’s diary until his death in 1980.

I selected this book because I have previously read books about the Holocaust that peaked my interest. My mom suggested this book to me because she felt it was a mandatory read for all students. Most of the books I had read in the past about the Holocaust were fiction. The Diary of a Young Girl was the first book I read about the Holocaust that was non-fiction. On a scale of 1-10, I would give this book a 9 because while I enjoyed the book, I would’ve enjoyed it more had the main character been a young boy. I would have been able to understand his point of view better than Anne’s.

Reviewed by: SanFran