"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" ~Groucho Marx

Search This Blog

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Old Yeller

Gipson, Frank. Old Yeller. New York: Harper Collins, 1956.184 pages.

The story I just read is called Old Yeller. It is a story about a young boy who lived in Texas. His father left on a business trip and left his oldest son, Travis, in charge of the family while he was gone. Not long after his father left, Travis found a new companion: which was a yellow Labrador retriever. Travis thought the dog was a stray by the way he looked. He was an older dog at that, so Travis decided to call him Old Yeller. Old Yeller and Travis had good and bad times since then, but in the end, there was one major problem: Travis’s one and only companion, Old Yeller, got a very bad disease from an infected wolf. The only way to solve the problem was to……. One other interesting ,yet sad, part of the story was when Old Yeller tried to save Travis’s life by fighting a mean and vicious wild boar to protect Travis. Even though Old Yeller was saving Travis’s life, both Old Yeller and Travis got severely hurt and injured.

My favorite character is Travis because he is an animal lover just like me. I disliked the fact that the sick wolf attacked Old Yeller. One thing from the story has happened to me: my 9 year old dog died from a “cancer” and what happened to old yeller reminded me what happened to my dog. I would recommend this book to any one who likes a book with lots of good and enriched details. I would also recommend this book to my family because they love a good, long story about animals. I selected it because I have read this book before, and I loved it so much I had to read it again. I would read another book by Paul Gibson because he is a very persuasive writer, and that is why I love this book.

Reviewed by: LoudMouth