"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" ~Groucho Marx

Search This Blog

Friday, April 20, 2012

Summer of Fear

Duncan, Lois. Summer of Fear. New York: Random House Children’s Books, 1976. 207 pages. (Horror / Thriller / Poem Review) 

A terrible blow
Brings Rachel’s cousin Julie
To live in her home.

Quiet and shy at
First, Julia seems gentle.
But is she really?

Dog: Trickle abruptly
Dies. How does a bizarre wax
Statue figure in?

Rachel’s boyfriend and
Her best friend choose Julia.
A mysterious charm.

Library- a place
With answers Rachel needs to
Confront Julia.

Late at night Julie
Gets home. Rachel tells what she
Knows. A deadly plot.

A name mentioned; a
Death sentence for a neighbor.
Stop the witch in time.

This is the first Lois Duncan book that I’ve read and I have to say that I was very satisfied. This book was thrilling, but not so scary as to keep you up at night. It was also well written. Even though Trickle died in the beginning of the story, I was still sad. I felt that I had known Trickle longer than when he had been introduced to me. It was easy for me to be engaged in the story. In addition, I thought that the end when ‘Julia’ reveals who she really is and her real intentions was clever. An excellent read.


Reviewed by: FunkyZebras