"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" ~Groucho Marx

Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.


Verne, Jules. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. New York: Baronet Books, 1992. 237 pages. (Steampunk/SciFi)

The book I read was 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, by Jules Verne. I really enjoyed this book, because I too enjoy sea life. The story starts off with a “sea monster” that seems to be around 60 feet long and indestructible. It even went through another ship! A sea life expert, Professor Aronnax, and his friends Conseil, and Ned go out on a boat to find this sea monster, which takes them around three months to find. When they see it Ned fires at it, and when it doesn’t die, they knew it wasn’t an animal. It ended up being some of the most advanced technology ever seen in their time. Being able to take people under water for about 4 days was very impressive, (It had to go back up to collect more air, but could eventually go back down for another 4 days). I don’t think I’d be so thrilled being sentenced in the ship for life, so that no one knew about it, but being able to see all the things of the deep that no people on land have gotten to see would be one of my greatest adventures. I think most people that read this book would enjoy it, because of the thrilling ride the book takes you through. It’s safe to say this was one of my favorite books yet, and I hope other readers enjoy it as much as I did. 

By: Mator1313