"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" ~Groucho Marx

Search This Blog

Friday, November 21, 2008

Midnight Rider

Hiatt, Joan. Midnight Rider. NY, Aladdin, 2006. 372 pages. (Historical Fiction)

The book I selected was called Midnight Rider. It takes place during the Civil War. Hannah is the main character in the book. She is fourteen years old, an orphan, and was very sad because her aunt Phoebe had just sold her horse Promise. Everyday since then, she snuck out to see the boy who bought the horse. When her aunt found out, she sent her to live in England with the Gages. The Gages are a rich family who live in London. General Gage lives there. Hannah was to be their maid. The boy, Caleb, knew the Gages and went there and left Promise in the stables. Hannah found a secret tunnel to get to the horses, but she had to dress up as a boy to get out so no one would be looking for her. Girls had a curfew they had to follow. She went to meetings only guys were allowed to attend at night. I would tell you more but, you need to read it find out what happens next. I recommend this book to all my friends because it is about history and includes Paul Revere who was one of the first people who found out Hannah was a girl. This book is a very good book. I read it in fifth grade and I made my grandma get it for me because it was so good. This book is also one of the books that if you only read 330 out of its 372 pages, it does not make sense. So read it and tell more people about it.

Reviewed by: BlueGoo32